Sunday, September 22, 2013

Castle Tours - The Foyer

Hello, Viewers and Visitors!

We are now approaching the end of this Castle Tour, and as you pass through the vestibule I should like to point out a few highlights.

Here is a question for you: Which color will best unite raspberry red (parlor), lilac (the original color of the home office), and bright pink (kitchen), all of which congregate here in the foyer? Why, it is obvious – bright lime green, of course! 


The purple, stripey IKEA rug was obviously a fortuitous bonus.
The metal wall baskets hold gloves in the winter.

Being that we live on the top floor, I have been able to unobtrusively(?) annex the stairway outside our apartment for my own decorative purposes. It all started with the black hamper, a cast-off/gift from a friend. It now holds picnic gear, and lives on the landing. (Yes, it gets in everybody’s way, and yes, it gets on His Lordship’s nerves, but – hey, we all have to suffer for Art.) 

With its pink flower detail, it recalled the theme of my tole trays that I had been collecting over a number of years, but didn’t previously have a spot for. After that, everything went very fast, like in a blur…

The black line on the wall was painted there long before my time, probably to provide a visual balance to the black banister. I was never thrilled with it, until I found these black floral wall decals from – you guessed it – IKEA. All of a sudden, the line became an asset.


The view down from my front door
The mirror had been sitting in my basement for a couple of years. I spray painted it black; so also the small shelf underneath. Then, taking my life in my own hands, I arranged some crates and planks and a ladder into a reasonably solid configuration, and clambered, terrified and in a cold sweat, up under the eaves to hang my trays. Happily, I lived to tell the story. 

Hanging the other stuff was child’s play after that. The “curtain” is an old crochet throw, that suddenly became useful again.
And the view up, towards the door - the pink kitchen can be glimpsed...
The still-growing tole tray collection in all its glory


... and on the other walls, more roses in other shapes!


Above and below: my two foremost prize-winning trays - due, of course, to the pleasing pinkness and overall pastel color scheme...


We here at Castle Tours are delighted that you chose to join us - we hope you have enjoyed yourselves, and look forward to seeing you soon again!

Regards from Rosebud!

No comments:

Post a Comment