Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Fourth Dimension

Hello, Viewers!

Once again it is my pleasure to report, for your edification, the proceedings of my latest Fairy Party - "(Re-) Dedicating Ourselves to the Fourth Dimension". Please don't ask what that means because I have no clue - it just sounded good, all right? And as I was casting about in my mind for an inspiring theme for my décor, the words "Iridescent Evanescence" suddenly surfaced, as it were, out of nowhere, so that (as we party planners like to say) was that!

In my quest for the iridescent and the fourth-dimensional I happened to come up with a few little items:


The tablecloth is a whole chapter in itself! The fabric is a shiny, slinky fashion material that I sewed into a floor-length-plus tablecloth. If you want to know the trick, it is as follows: Measure the length of the table, adding the distance from the floor up to the tabletop and then down again. Double the figure and buy some fun, gorgeous fabric. (My total floor-to-floor length, rounded upwards to allow for hemming and a tiny risk margin, was 4 yards - meaning that I bought 8 yards of fabric.)

Cut the fabric across in half - resulting (in my case) in two 4-yard-long pieces - and here comes the crucial point: DO NOT just sew these pieces together lengthwise, because you will end up with an ugly seam right down the middle of your table. Instead, take one of the pieces and cut it in half LENGTHWISE, ending up with two very narrow 4-yard-long pieces, which you then sew together with the wider piece, one along each side. That way the seams end up on the sides of the table, as seen here. The seams are not invisible, but they don't interfere with the table setting - and once the guests sit down the seams disappear out of view.



And so on to the center piece: The low, wide glass bowl from IKEA you have seen before - here it was filled to capacity with pink and clear acrylic "table diamonds", with a big iridescent glass bubble (courtesy of amazon.com) in the middle. Later, when everything was in place, I filled it with water.


The next step was to flank the "pool" with these crystal candle holders (which you have also seen before; and draping stuff from the chandelier, such as mirror balls and crystal ropes. It was all about creating iridescence and evanescence!
























Each candle holder has been improved with three dangling prisms, like so:

The curled hook lets you attach the prism almost anywhere. Needless to say, I am very pleased with it!


A sparkly garland around the pool, and a mix of pink and aqua submersible LED lights completed the picture. 

Let us now look at the place settings:
This very adorable plate has occurred previously in an all-white version, but this time I found it in clear plastic, with the lacy rim in silver. Needless to say, again, I enhanced it with an iridescent jewel!

With this lacy silver doily as a charger/place mat, the over-all impression was one of delicate silver filigree. To this I added the customary silver disposable cutlery, a silver-banded champagne glass (improved with pink diamonds), and a delicate wine glass with an etched flower detail. Totally enchanting.





The napkin treatment consisted of a pink paper napkin, swathed in a kind of shimmery, transparent doily, the purpose of which is exactly to dress up your napkins (paper or fabric), held together with my current favorite diamond napkin ring.

These doilies are sold as a more or less disposable item, since they are not washable (the silver edge is made of some paper-type material), but they can certainly be reused many times, if you just make sure to snatch them away from your guests the moment they have unfolded their napkins. This version is white with silver trim, but they also come in ivory with gold trim. Gorgeous!

A helpful tip when it comes to napkin folding - one which I usually forget to adhere to myself - is to do all the folding and fiddling before you set out the plates and glasses, etc., while you still have a clear surface to work on!

An overview of the table; I added small square mirrors as coasters, and mercury glass votive holders - all for the shimmeriness! At the last moment, I also decided that the crystal LED holders looked too empty, but - voilà - a pink (silk) rose will solve almost any problem.









A mirror garland has been added to the hanging decorations, and all is ready for the guests to arrive...

Next time I hope to show you some of the food, and other arrangements.

Regards from Rosebud!


No comments:

Post a Comment